Realm 7 – Copyrighting
Take less than 60 seconds now and your future-self will be forever grateful to you. Understand what copyright means.
No one has the “right” to copy your “original works of authorship fixed in a tangible medium of expression” unless you give them written permission.
Copyright covers both published and unpublished works.
Why does this matter so much?
- An artist’s copyright represents their current and or future financial assets that produce significant revenue.
- Just because someone owns an original work it does NOT give them the right to reproduce it.
- Your copyright is also an extension of your brand.
- If you do not protect copyright you are giving the market “implied permission” to help themselves to your property.
- Educate yourself. If you are from the US read this page: https://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html#what
- If you are not from the US find out what legal measures you can take in your region to protect your copyright.
- It’s about progress, not perfection.
“Any artist who wants to learn is welcome as my free guest at my live Saturday classes.” – Ann Rea